Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Why don’t we always do what we know is good for us to do?

I have trouble sleeping and know that if I practice yoga just before bedtime I’ll get to sleep quicker, sleep deeper, and sleep longer. Easy, right? Not so much. I’m not sure why, but adding yoga to my pre-sleeping routine has not been easy.

When I was a kid my folks took me to parties and rather than put me down for bedtime would let me just run out of energy and fall asleep, wherever. I often slept under the coffee table, right in the midst of all the action. They prided themselves in letting me raise myself. Although that resulted in many advantages, such as self-sufficiency, I still tend to want to stay up until I fall over because I don’t want to miss any action. 

For the last 6 weeks I’ve been monitoring my behavior-change success, or lack thereof, using a phone app, Way of Life. I use the free version, which can be used to track 3 behaviors. I’m tracking Exercise, Meditation, and Yoga. My exercise routine has improved dramatically since I started walking with a friend every morning. Often we meditate after finishing our walk, but not always. My friend is not a yogi though, far from it. He’s pretty down to earth. When I looked at my results in the app it became apparent that I was doing great on exercise, pretty good on meditation, and simply lousy on yoga. I think this shows the power of having an accountability partner.

Regarding yoga, last night I did great. I had about a 30-minute yoga session followed by 7 ½ hours of sleep, the most I’ve gotten for a long time. This morning I ask my friend to consider yoga with me every night at 10 PM. He was having none of that.

I am convinced, intellectually, that I need yoga at night for my wellbeing. My unconscious, reptilian-brain, little-kid “elephant” does not know that though. He wants to keep going until he drops. My conscious, frontal lobe, adult “elephant rider” needs to train the elephant. I am open for elephant-training suggestions.


Following the 12-step pattern, I realize staying awake ‘til I drop is an unmanageable habit I am powerless over, an insane pattern to continue, and yet I believe there is hope and turn to another power for help – you (Steps 1-3). I often hear the One speak through others. In fact, I have come to rely upon it. For me yoga is part of the meditation practice mentioned in the 11th step. So, got any thoughts on how to increase my success at incorporation of yoga into my nighttime routine? I’m all ears; elephant ears in fact.

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Tad! I wonder if also using the mantra of "one day at a time" would be helpful. Or a gentle zen bell reminder at the time when you want to do yoga?

    ~~Elaine Besthorn
    On another sidenote: perfect way to use the reptilian brain concept...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine. One day at a time (ODAT) is perfect. It is so important to stay here, in the present. That helps, to remember ODAT. Reminder bell, tried it and that does help a bit. Thanks for your feedback. BTW, I checked out your wordpress site. Good stuff, but wonder?? I couldn't see anywhere you identify who you are on that site. Is that right? If so, why? Fear?

      Delete
    2. I usually don't read blogs so thank you for making this easy to find. I am glad you are doing yoga as I know it is really good for people. When I first moved to KC, my co-worker/roommate talked me into yoga classes. Which was fun for a while until we had to do the relaxation part, which I don't do very well. I don't meditate well either. I switched to Zumba classes where I could hop around and pretend to dance. Much more my style, but it works for me.

      Delete